Looking for a way to spice up your workout? The “Zombies, Run!” mobile app is a super-fun and slightly scary way to break out of your fitness rut and motivate you on your next run.
Imagine yourself in your own personal version of “The Walking Dead,” fleeing from zombies, completing missions, and collecting life-saving supplies as you navigate your run based on the guidance of people coming through your “radio.” Now, I will say that I had initially envisioned a first-person-shooter-style game where you would see zombies jumping out at you on your screen along your virtual route. This is not the case, however, and it is probably for the best, since that style of game would be quite distracting on a run, possibly causing you to run into a ditch or into traffic by not paying attention to your actual running path. (Something that would happen to clumsy me! Lol.)
Once you get into the game, however, this won’t matter. You can track your route via GPS, similar to apps like the Nike Run app, and you are kept busy on your “missions”–following instructions to build up your home base, completing tasks and running from “hordes”–keeping you fully entertained throughout your run, walk or treadmill session.
Some of the coolest features include:
- Free run at your leisure or use options for pre-set runs at 5k, 10k, 20k, etc.
- 40 missions included for free, with 120+ extra missions available with Season Passes.
- Spur-of-the-moment “Zombie Chases” that force you to speed up to escape the hordes of walkers chasing you. (Interval sprints)
- Run logs that let you keep track of your progress in the game for each run, as well as track distance, calories, etc.
- Free access to Zombielink, the game’s online base and gaming community.
If you’re like me and need a little motivation for your run, this is one fun way to get moving. The app is available in both the iTunes and Google Play mobile app stores. I certainly had fun both using this app and getting into character.
Makeup and costume done by yours truly. Have you tried “Zombies, Run!” yet? Let me know how you liked it in the comments below. Note: This is not a paid post for this app. I just really enjoyed using it! (All screenshots used with permission).